Beef curry is great when you are busy and is good cooked the day before and reheated. I love cooking curry, and serving it with dishes of dhal, and spinach and spicy potatoes. Don't forget the chutneys, pickles and puppodum. The Food Lovers Fairs are a brilliant place to buy authentic Indian chutneys.
- Crush the whole spices & pods and dry roast in a heavy-bottomed frying pan for a couple of minutes.
- Fry the diced beef in a casserole dish in cooking oil to brown it and then transfer to a plate.
- Add onions to the pan and fry for a few minutes. Then add the garlic and all the spices, the chilli and ginger and cook for a further 5 minutes. Return the meat to the pan.
- Add the coconut milk slowly to the casserole and cover.
- Simmer very gently for about 2 hours. Take off the lid and check consistency, Test the meat to see if it is cooked and then cook for a further 15 minutes uncovered.